Marijuana is a psychoactive drug that is derived from the cannabis plant. The main psychoactive drug found in marijuana is delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol. This substance is the responsible factor that is creating the ‘high’ that is caused by consuming it. Marijuana is used for various purposes such as medical and recreational. It is consumed in a variety of forms such as smoking, tinctures, edibles, vaping, and topical creams. There are potential medical benefits of marijuana, for example, in the treatment of chronic pain, nausea, and vomiting associated with chemotherapy and certain neurological disorders. This drug is still illegal under federal law in the United States.
In this article, we are going to discuss the long-term and short-term effects of consuming marijuana. You can write a guest blog related to this drug on our channel Submit Guest Post Marijuana.
Short-Term Effects of Marijuana
- It creates a euphoria and produces feelings of happiness and relaxation.
- It increases your heart rate which can create problems for those who are suffering from any type of heart condition.
- It leads to dry mouth which can even cause tooth decay.
- Marijuana can impair your memory and concentration due to which there can be a difficulty to learn and process new information.
- It can increase or stimulate your appetite which is commonly known as ‘munchies’.
- It can also alter sensory perceptions which can make colors look more brighter and sounds more vivid.
- Consumption of marijuana can often lead to anxiety and paranoia.
Long-Term Effects of Marijuana
- Marijuana can lead to addiction, especially for those who consume huge amounts of it regularly.
- It can cause respiratory problems and can even damage your lungs.
- It can impair your driving ability which can lead to accidents and injuries.
- It can also increase the risk of mental health problems including depression, anxiety, and psychosis.
- It can lead to cognitive impairment which can cause difficulties with learning, memory and attention.
Overall, marijuana has both long-term and short-term effects on both the mind and body. The effects of marijuana are dependent on the potency of the drug, the way of ingestion, the user’s tolerance, and the mental and the physical state of the user who is consuming it. It affects each person differently and its effects are very unpredictable. Before consuming marijuana, you should be aware of the potential risks and their side effects. Also, you should be familiar with the laws in your area before using or possessing the drug.
Also Read: Why is Skin Health an Important Part of Overall Health Development?